Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014, HEEEEY!

So, I decided that I wanted the first meal I made in 2014 to be something tasty, yet fabulously healthy, so I decided to make chickpea pesto sandwiches for lunch today. I got my husband a gym membership for Christmas that he has been rather enthusiastic about, so I figured he would appreciate all the protein and fiber in this meal. I appreciated the deliciousness. This recipe is from one of my new favorite food blogs: thugkitchen.com (basically, a gangsta vegan chef). However, if you don't find...uh...colorful language even remotely funny, you might want to stay away from that site. HA! Anyway, these sandwiches were delicious. The only changes I made: I crisped up a couple of pieces of turkey bacon in the microwave for each sandwich and I added 2 chopped green onions to the chickpea spread. Phillip says these are also delicious in a whole-wheat wrap.

Not pictured: experienced food photographer, dysfunctional can opener. Stay tuned for my blog's transformation to include artful, appetizing food photography, witty banter, and striking web design! Just don't hold your breath too long waiting. *wink*


Click here to visit Thug Kitchen for the amazingly hilarious original recipe.

Prepped and ready to go! 

Pesto action. Mmmmmm.

Finished product! I used some yummy whole-wheat bread (I know, tsk-tsk for not making my own). Snack: grapes and Mississippi State cheddar cheese. In the same bite. Don't judge until you try it...it's delicious!


CHICKPEA PESTO SANDWICH (slightly adapted from thugkitchen.com)
Pesto:
1 ¼ cup torn, packed basil leaves
1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon salt
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

Mix this in after the pesto is done:
1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 ounce can)
1 carrot, grated
 2 green onions, chopped (nope, chives and green onions aren't the same thing.)

Put all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and blend until smooth. 
Throw the chickpeas in the food processor with the pesto and pulse a few times until you are happy with the texture. I like a few chunks in mine. Mix the grated carrot in with the chickpea paste.
Top sandwich or wrap with whatever (I used turkey bacon, Roma tomatoes, and red onions). Except mayonnaise. That would be blasphemous on this sandwich!

Makes 3 sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment