Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

So much has been done...and yet there is still so much left to do.  I am trying to resurrect some of my dreams over the years that may have been engulfed by the consuming tide of adulthood and bills and worries and stress.

Don't get me wrong...I am not running from life.  I embrace it.  I enjoy being responsible for my livelihood...I get a sense of accomplishment from paying my bills and being self-sufficient and giving my hard-working parents a well-deserved break.  I would just like a few more things to enrich my life.  Wouldn't we all?

I would like to be able to travel more.  It has been so long since I felt warm ocean waves around my ankles and wet sand under my feet...smelled salty air.  I would even brave my silly fear of sharks to feel the ocean around me again.  I want to see the sun set in another country with someone I love.  I want to open my mind and see the world through others' eyes, as well as my own.

I would love to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and satisfy my geeky, 12-year-old heart.  Of course, I would reread all 7 books again before going.

I would like to have enough money to actually make all of the interesting baking projects in my cookbooks and on the favorites bar of my Internet browser.  I would also like to be able to take pristine and unique photographs of all my creations and, of course, share them with readers.

One of my oldest dreams...I would still like to write a novel or a book of poetry.  However, sometimes I am frightened that I won't learn enough interesting things in life to write a good book.

I have almost no musical ability, but I would still like to be able to at least adequately play guitar and the piano...and maybe learn to sing, because the good Lord knows I can't right now.  And I love to dance.

I just want to do it all...I have never been able to limit my interests.  I have just been collecting and layering them since I was younger and I can't let them go.  I want to plan weddings, act in movies or plays, own a bakery, own a gift shop, volunteer internationally, be a psychologist, be a doctor, be a chef...things that are impossible to reconcile with each other.

Maybe it isn't as impossible as it seems.

Maybe I just have to take life one day at a time.  Slowly, I will just keep doing things that I want to do, and maybe those little things will build some pretty cool accomplishments. 

I do have some big dreams, but I'm realistic, too.  I also have some dreams that are a little closer to home...but no less satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment